Great participation, enthusiasm and creative meetings characterize the Educational Programs of the Chania Film Festival, which are also implemented during the current school year, 2021-2022. A few hundred trainees from all over Greece participate in the monthly synchronous and asynchronous training sessions, which are implemented through the educational platform: https://e-learning.cff-e-edu.gr/moodle/ and the educational site: https://cff-e-edu.gr/ of the Festival. All programs have an educational character, as they aim at the acquisition by the participating teachers of film and audiovisual literacy skills, but at the same time, they also have an educational character, as they seek to transfer the acquired experience and knowledge to the classroom by implementing activities. Participants are supported by educational material in digital and printed form.
At the same time, at the level of Crete, actions and programs are being implemented in person, adapted to the conditions that have been formed due to covid 19.
The training and educational programs (annual or fast-paced) that are in progress for the educational year 2021-2022 are:
- cineCourses/ True Stories / CRete Education Documentary Project (CR. E.DOC)
Film-making programs in the School Community with emphasis on documentaries and themes mainly from Local History. A systematic effort to approach and get to know, both the cinematic art and technique, as well as the Local History and the testimony of everyday people.
- Film Club at the School
The Film Club at school is the educational proposal of the Chania Film Festival for the organization and operation of a Film Club within the school environment.
In each session, a film is shown and -then- the trainees are initiated in the design of actions approaching the film, which are addressed to the age group of students of the school class and level in which they teach. Teachers’ experiences and skills are transferred to the classroom.
- Cine Charts / Cinematic Literacy in Education
Steps towards the audiovisual literacy of children and adults. The trainees approach the methods and techniques by which audiovisual products are produced and -then- use the audiovisual tools, develop personal expression skills, organize and make simple audiovisual presentations (photograph, film, film, etc.). They then use the above experiences and skills to organize workshops in the classroom.
- Make a Photo-History!
Teachers and students get acquainted with the codes and become familiar with the tools for the production of photographic products and then take pictures capturing concepts, writing scripts and creating photo-stories.
- Voices – Oral History in the Spotlight
The aim of the program is to sensitize the participants and multiply the local community on issues of local, public and oral history and to create, after training and education, a nuclear team of oral history researchers in thematic areas related to the history of Crete. The objectives of the program include the acquisition of skills of historical research, design, oral interviewing, technical processing of oral interview material, archiving material and creation of a repository of oral interviews, the use of oral testimonies for use in the Community and Education. In addition, the creation of audiovisual products -documentaries and short narrative films based on data from the repository of oral testimonies that will be created.
We note that:
- The participation in ALL the Educational Programs of the Chania International Film Festival take place without any financial burden to the participants.
- The Educational Programs of the Chania Film Festival have the approval and the auspices of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs, following a relevant positive recommendation of the Institute of Educational Policy.
- The Educational Programs of the Chania Film Festival are certified by ACTA – Spin-off of the University of Thessaloniki.
- The Chania Film Festival and its educational activities are designed and implemented by the Cultural Society of Crete with the support and cooperation of the Ministry of Culture and Sports, EKOME, the Region of Crete, the Regional Unit of Chania, the Municipality of Platanias and the Municipality of Chania.
Learn about the Educational Programs and the activities of the Chania International Film Festival at: